Ethics Project Website Request
For this request I got to work with Thuy, a fellow STA. We were both tasked with coming up with two solutions for the client’s situation. They wanted to change the aesthetic and functionality of two of the pages from their Ethics Project Website.
First they wanted to make this blog page: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/ethicsproject/blog/index.php look like this one: https://knightcenter.utexas.edu/blog/. To solve this issue I was in charge of designing the solution, but we agreed to use the News feature from the COLA web editor to change their blog. This is what I made: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/sta-12/news/index.php.
Second, they wanted to make this resources page: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/ethicsproject/case-studies/index.php look like this https://mediaengagement.org/vertical/media-ethics/. We talked about it and we came up with two solutions, this is the part that Thuy mainly worked on. The first solution we suggested was this one: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/sta-11/flexbox-cards-example.php. We also suggested to use something like the following, in case they lacked the coding experience to carryout Thuy’s solution: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/caaas/faculty/books.php.
A while after we sent the email suggesting the previous solutions, the client contacted us back…
Regarding the Blog page, they said that they liked the aesthetic of our solution, however they did not want to sacrifice the News section to turn it into a blog. So they asked for something different that would still prevail the look and functionality of what we had previously suggested. Thuy and I talked about other ways to tackle this issue. After we figured it out, she came up with this solution: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/sta-11/ethics-blog/index.php. This way, the blog posts are all written into different pages and not saturating a single one, but they are all conveniently collected and teased in a single page.
Now, regarding the Teaching Resources page, the client liked the Flexbox Cards solution, but they don’t have coding experience. So we all kind of came to the understanding that this was not the way to go. For the table solution we suggested they liked that it ddin’t involve much HTML coding, but they were concerned about the aesthetic of it because they did not like that our suggestion had a table with such small cells. As a solution we emphasized that the table is easily editable to whatever the desired size might be and we assured the client that, as long as the pictures were all cropped to the same size, the aesthetic would not be compromised. For such purpose I made the following page as an example of this solution in action: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/sta-12/ethics-project-website-help.php.
We sent out a new email with both of these new additions to our recommended solutions and a detailed step by step guide explaining how to create their own version of our suggestions, concluding part 2 of this request. (If needed I will eventually add a part 3)…