This is a task I completed last week. I added photos to the database for the new STAs hired last year and updated information for all the STAs.
The staff page is now fully populated, and once the new photos are in it will look even better!
I finished this project back in November. It involved interviewing Dr. Bsumek about what she believed would be the best to have on her faculty page to make it more informative and robust. Before the the scheduled interview, I read upon her work and research. She studies Native American history and recently published a book on the sale of Navajo-made products. During the interview, we decided it would be helpful to add tabs for her books, public engagement/teaching videos, and one on her past PhD students. The purpose of all this is to make her page a better research for any student who wants to learn about her research.
The homepage with added tabs
I embedded videos into the public engagement page.
The tab with her books
She gave me information on her past students for the “Past Graduate Students” page.
All of the changes were made through the LAITS database and with a couple of lines of html at times. I really enjoyed working on this project because I got to work directly with Dr. Bsumek and we hopefully created something that would help other UT students.
This past week I completed a poster for the history department to promote an upcoming speaker event on the impact of the Cultural Revolution. As any Chinese person would know, this was a tumultuous and chaotic time with a disputed outcome. I’m actually very glad I got to make the poster because I identify with the event. The department gave me the image below to start.
And I tried a few ideas to make the image pop.
(this one ended up looking more Japanese than Chinese)
Below is the design I ended up using. The color red came naturally (color of the revolution, color of the flag), and I thought the navy was a nice contrast for the details at the bottom of the poster.
I made the above banner for the pictographs page of the Texas Beyond History website. At the end of the old website. I found a “hidden” page that contained some watercolor painting replicas made by preservationist Forrest Kirkland. Since the pictographs page centers around his work, I drew from his art for the banner. I used photoshop and pieced together some squares of his art and created a complete image in watercolor style.
Below is a mockup of the banner on the webpage.
I am currently working on the layout of the rest of the page. The current page is a series of click-through images that will be put all into one page. I should be completely done by Monday!