work e-mail best practices
Students, make a habit of hitting the points below in your work e-mail correspondence.
Add to this list if you have suggestions.
Student Technology Assistant
University of Texas at Austin
STA: Liberal Arts ITS
To Connect to Server:
1. Go to Finder and at the top click “go
2. Type in the following address:
3. Click connect!
- LAITS Server Support (only with permissions or server troubles. no general support)
- Ask for help!
Please ReviewSTA guidelines:
Clocking-in is essential before you start on work or shifts
– Clock in for work, Dev. lab & Media Lab shifts and for meetings
– Clock-in for meetings held outside the Dev. lab.
– Clock out for lunch or breaks & clock back in for work
– All work done for LAITS should be done in the Dev. lab, not at home or other locations.
time sheet calculator:http://www.elapsedtimecalculator.com/Elapsed-Time-Calculator.aspx/http://www.miraclesalad.com/webtools/timesheet.php
Summer STA training = 6 hrs a week
Suloni can authorize more or less hours, only if necessary.
Always check-in with Suloni if you need to spend more time on a project,
or if you have an emergency and cannot fulfill your hours.
Time sheet & time card turn in
On time sheet turn-in day Alexis sends a notification through sta-list e-mail.
Give Suloni your time sheet & card to check and sign
Alexis will pick-up time sheets paper clipped to your time cards that are left in the slot by the time-clock onlyat 4:30pm
*STAs must go to the office and leave time sheets and cards directly with Alexis if they areready any later than 4:30 pm.
Alexis is in the office until 5pm.
*If you cannot get your time-card and time sheet to Alexis by the due date/time, you must e-mail your time sheet pdf directly to Alexis:
Summer dev. lab rules
– During the Summer keep the door locked at all times. Do not leave the door unlocked.
FALL & SPRING:
– During the school year, leave the Dev. Lab locked and alarmed if you are the last person in it.
– If you work after 4:45 in the Dev. Lab, work in a locked room.
– On week-ends and after 4:45, if you lock yourself out of the Dev. Lab and you need to get back in, you can try to call another STA and get help, call list will be in basecamp.
– Do not plan on working between 12midnight and 6am. The building is locked between 12midnight and 6am.
– You can work M-F, Sat. & Sun.
– You are provided with a code for the keypad.You choose your pic#
– Do not loose or share your key, key pad code, or pic #
– If alarm is set off: call UT police immediately 471- 4441 and give them the pic#.
– Never label your key with rm#’s or any personal information.
– If you loose your key, let Suloni know ASAP.
– Do not have friends or family in the Dev. lab.
– The Dev. Lab is for use by STAs and authorized staff only.
– If students wander to the lab, let them know that the general use computer lab is down the hall way for them to use.
– When COLA faculty come into the lab, please greet them and ask them how you can help them.
If they need help on a request that cannot be completed during your shift hour, take down their name and e-mail and project description and e-mail this information to me.
– We help College of Liberal Arts Faculty exclusively in the Dev. Lab.
Equipment rules of use
– Dev. Lab computers cannot be used to do commercial work.
– If you have outside projects, please do not use the Dev. lab or your work hours on non-LAITS projects.
Meetings & shifts are required not optional, failure to fulfill these requirements can result in termination.
– Attendance is required at weekly STA meetings to share progress with other STAs
– Three absences are tolerated per semester for Media lab shifts Dev. lab shifts and STA weekly meetings.
– If there is an emergency, STAs must get specific permission from Suloni. This must be done in a timely fashion. As always, there are exceptions when one is sick, but even so, notifying Suloni as soon as possible is important.
– e-mailthe sta-listto communicate absences & to request help from fellow STAs to fill shifts for the Media Lab and Dev. Lab.
– Respond to the list if you are available to help with such requests.
– Do not trade or share assignments unless you are authorized by Suloni
– Save all of your work to the STA volume regularly.
– Store un-merged versions of your psd files & raw uncompressed image files to the STA volume in your STA folder.
– Do not leave your work saved only on the desktop, STAs have lost large amounts of works in progress by neglecting to save back to the volume.
– Ask Suloni for feedback on your work in e-mail & post the path to the folder you are working in.
Basecamp for project communication
Use basecamp regularly to communicate about projects with clients, project managers, & web development staff if your project group members use basecamp predominantly.
Use the sta folder in the WWW volume for css html on projects before they go live.
– If you are locked out of a folder email@example.com help.
Use your full name and eid
describe your problem in clear detail
always cc Suloni
– firstname.lastname@example.org you encounter a problem with hardware, software, scanners, or the printer
– Contact Tim Facklerfackler@mail.utexas.eduif you need to discuss a work matter that you do not feel comfortable talking to Suloni about.
– Contact UT ombudsman for issues that you feel cannot be resolved with our help.
The ombudsman is a “neutral third party providing assistance to students who have University-related complaints of a nonlegal nature”