TBH: Rusk County Map Update Pt.3
Welcome back to the TBH Recap Show. Today we present to you the Tokyo Drift of our saga: Rusk County Map Update Pt.3. As always, I’m your host Cristina. Let’s get to it…
Project: Rusk County Map for TBH
Client: Steve Black & Emily McCuistion
Completion Status: In progress… soon to be done.
Staff Guidance: Suloni Robertson, Lauren Moore, Ruben Garza, Estella Sun, and the WebDev fam as a whole, to be honest.
STA Team Members: Cristina (at your service)
Description/Plans: Develop an interactive image through Canvasser for a new Texas Beyond History page, add it to the TBH server, and create one of the pages linked to the interactive image in question.
Since the last update on this, a lot has happened. After sending the mockups I talked about on the past TBH post, we got some comments, some feedback, and some new requests. So let’s talk about it in order:
- On the first mockup, apparently we had a miscommunication situation going on, since they responded they were confused by that mockup since “the interactive map, of course, will not appear on the main page /rusk/index.html as shown, but on the Cultural Landscape page.” No further requirements there, though.
- On the second mockup they stated that they wanted the “map [to be] as large as possible for page width, very minor scrolling on reader’s part shouldn’t be much of an issue.” So the next step there would be embedding the map.
- Finally, they had a lot to say about the third pic I send, adding comments arrow by arrow on the annotated mockup, which is good because we wanted very specific input from them. (I won’t bore you with the details, though).
First thing I did after that was to ask for help, since coding on html was not something I was familiar with. So, eventually, Thuy (a fellow STA that’s really versed on these kinds of tasks and is also a CompSci mayor) was able to help me getthe new requests from the third mockup onto the site… However, I noticed that we still had some requests on that pending by the time I logged onto my next shift. Good thing is I had a long shift that day, so I used that time to literally learn how to log onto the TBH development server, and familiarize myself with html coding. So I did what I could to the best of my abilities and commented on BC about what I couldn’t fix: mainly a header on the rusk/images/warep.html site, and the fact that, when you interacted with the map on the rusk/landscape.html site, the map’s linked sites would not just on the same tab (which is what we previously agreed with our clients on doing), but are also confined to the space of the map within the landscape page. This is what I mean:
Afterwards, I got some feedback to lean into that bug, and just make it look neater, so I got down to work on that. Simultaneously, I asked for some more help from the webdev team on fixing the header issue. Few days later, I was done with that and send an email to the client with all the updates Thuy and myself were able to make.
Nonetheless, a few more days later we got a response and more tasks to manage. On the landscape site we got comments about the size of the map (asking for me to fix an overflow issue) and on the functionality, since they really needed for us to have the links from the map’s hot spots to open on a new tab… so the next step would be to ask Ruben if that was even possible, and then how to fix this on the embedding of the map. Moreover, on they also had more requests fixing the warep site’s format. Finally, they had a new request to, if possible, arrange for the “Back to map” button to return to the same place on the page as the viewer left it on the landscape page. Long story short, I was able to address some of these requests, and had to ask the webdev team (and Estella) to help out with the rest, and soon enough, we were able to tackle every single one of those requests.
We are currently waiting for either more feedback, or a final comment from the clients, so fingers crossed it all goes well!