Save the Date
Start: Jan 18th 2023
To be Completed: Jan 25th 2023
Staff Guidance: Maddy
Description: This project aims to create a design in the form of sports tickets and invite people to watch the event via e-mail for 2023 STA presentation. The necessary information on the tickets includes:
- Title: 2023 STA Presentation
- Date and Time: Friday, April 14th, 3pm
- Location: CAL 100
Maddy also includes some additional text to be add on or as decoration elements with low hierarchy:
- Save the Date
- Learn about the fantastic things LAITS does!
- Audio Video Design Web Development
- College of Liberal Arts
- Student Technology Assistants
- 25 years of LAITS (confirm)
For the first draft, I utilize the color code from the LAITS logo as the background and play with black and white to limit my color palette. Since there is no image to place on the ticket, I’d like to use typography to evoke the expression and emphasize the important information. In terms of the title, I used an extra bold font with black color to create contrast between other line decorative lines and other low-hierarchy info on the green background. I also divide the tickets into two sections with its form of stub and main ticket. On the left ticket, I explain on the content and context of the event whereas the right part only showcase the time ad location. I also enlarge the date and location to capture the attention from the first glance.
The use of font and use of color, black and white, has high contrast between each element and therefore creates the sense of illustrated/graphic look in the first draft. However, The STA presentation has a sports theme and therefore needs a more photo-realistic/collage/textured look.
- One to approach the vintage style is to add more flowing ribbon or plaque-type elements from the 19th or 20th centuries.
- At the same time, utilizing art-deco fonts and complimenting color with the background color (as well as avoiding the use of black and white) portrays the sense of the age and times.
- This time I replied with the typeface called Espiritu from Adobe fonts. The type family has three different styles with heavier strokes as headlines, condensed type for the main content, and dingbats as decorative fonts (data point). I also use orange to distract the flow of black and make the picture full.
- After research on other vintage tickets, I found out the ponderous line weight is more suitable for art deco fonts and therefore used a 2px line weight for decoration.
When I took a deeper look at the second draft, I realized that the use of black and white is too serious and differentiate from the antique tickets with poor printing quality and yellowing paper. For the new draft, I chose the lighter tone of blue from LAITS logo and play with dark shade color and complimentary color.
The last change I made to the design is to make it more rectangular and blocky as a whole. I get rid of some additional texts but kept with the event title, date, time, location, associated department, and the teams engaged in the LAITS team. I also prioritize the text in terms of importance by color, font weight and focal point of the tickets. I also made a simple mockup and added the antique texture to the tickets as the final outcome.
To fit for LAITS color scheme and emphasize the role of LAITS, I created five version with different team color and add LAITS logo on the side of the banner.