Scheduling has been weird but finals are done – sorry about the inconsistency!
I’ve noticed that mentally organizing these and going through my old basecamp posts to collect the screenshots and remember everything I’ve done takes much longer than actually writing them. Perhaps I should start saving bullet point notes and screenshots into a folder as I go through projects to make blog updates more streamlined.
CoLA Web Refresh
This last stretch was a lot of smaller sites. I felt really smart organizing my unit notes spreadsheet into alternating colors blocks for each department, until I realized just today that someone had made tabs for the different departments at the bottom. Isn’t the human brain amazing!
As much of a pain as it was for me to update 20+ years of newsletter archives for some dusty old sites, I’m glad they’re accessible; someday I’d like to go through and read them just for curiosity’s sake.
With a few variations in color and file format, these are the final logos.
Nice and simple, even though my pixel fujisama was sadly unused, this was a fun project and it’s the first time seeing a logo I designed on a website.
Texas German Dialect Project
Project: Retractable Banner for “The TGDP Process”
Client /Prof: TGDP (Margaret Blevins & Hans Boas)
completion status: WIP
staff guidance: Maddy K
STA team members: N/A
description/plans: Texas German Dialect Project has been working with us since 2019 to develop a series of banners. All together the banners will act as an interactive “museum” one can walk through & learn about TGDP’s research. This will be the second banner in the series! Our goal is to be making about 1 banner per month throughout the summer.
To be completed: June
So this is my first time using InDesign in a while. It’s also the largest file size in inches (6.5 feet) I’ve ever worked with. As much as I’ve complained about vectors I can definitely see the importance here (flushed emoji).
A lot of the brainpower here went into trying to determine the number of horizontal guides for 10 text boxes, 3 of which were roughly twice as long as the others, so I guess that would suggest 13 rows, but that’s not accounting for space at the top and bottom, nor the image spacing.
My very rough first draft right now has 3 columns and 36 rows (I know), but I might play more with spacing.
Maybe getting more comfortable with InDesign can be my summer goal, since outside of work I’d like to do more writing/publication creative stuff anyways.
HIS 315K The United States, 1492-1865
Just a quick faculty update to some older course graphics – props to some departed STAs I didn’t get to meet for this nice color scheme!