Texas German Dialect Project
My (final) first draft of this scrapped the vertical guides and evenly spaced everything. As of writing, I am still waiting for client feedback.
Basic Training: Research for Meaningful Brand Systems
This is an older training I’d finished the first part of months ago. The second part involves making a brand booklet for a fictional cafe with the following info:
- Name: Fairy Forest Cafe
- Mission Statement: Our mission is to inspire wonder and magic in the day-to-day. We are a 24-hour cafe welcome to all those who wish to enjoy a warm beverage, mingle, study, read, or just sit and enjoy the ambiance.
- 3-5 Adjectives: whimsical, natural, cozy, fresh, relaxed
- Messaging: Magical
- Audience: in an urban environment, typically serves students and young twenty/thirty somethings who are looking to get a good read on, do work, and perhaps mingle with fellow coffee goers in a casual manner. These twenty to thirty somethings love organization, “quirky” things, and consuming caffeinated products.
- Type of Restaurant: coffee, desserts, refreshments, and some light food (think sandwiches and soups). Like halfway between Bennu and this cafe (El Bosc de les Fades)
The booklet itself is to include a moodboard, logo, color scheme, typography guide, and merchandise.
I started with the logo, to work outwards from its colors/design elements. I’ve been taking my time with this training, since it’s been a slow week, and it’s a good opportunity to self-teach Illustrator and Indesign; I need a lot of refreshing for both. I wanted to incorporate moth/butterfly wings into the logo, so my first idea was to try tracing a photo as a raster, then vectorizing it.
…I wasn’t very satisfied with my mouse drawing, so I tried tracing vector shapes directly over an illustration.
I tried directly vectorizing it next and actually made it work pretty well, so I used that for this logo with a mint-chocolate palette.
I’ve started drafting the actual stylebook, but it’s pretty plain so far. I plan to look at some references on Behance, and rework some things like the typography and my old InDesign nemesis, guidelines.
Chemistry Readiness Course
This was a quick exercise in independent problem-solving: a somewhat ambiguous design task assigned minutes before the managers left for a 1 hour break, and 1 hour before my shift ended, due by the day’s end. The source photo was low res, so I made several blurred versions blown up to the right proportions for a studio backdrop, and since I couldn’t upload into the requested Volume server, I left the editables in an accessible Box drive.
CE 333T Engineering Communication
Another quick design task, this one was just updating the professor for 2 Canvas graphics, and it came with its own moral too – always save your editables! After some sleuthing I deduced I would have to remake them from scratch. Thankfully that doesn’t take long for Style A graphics.