Lately, I’ve been working on the new unit banner for RUS412K. The style is supposed to be very smooth and painterly, so I’ve been spending a lot of time trying to blend everything out while keeping the colors vibrant. This isn’t a style I normally work in because I really enjoy very expressive brush strokes, so it’s a bit challenging! I’ve been loosely using the following image as a reference. I’m trying to keep it as accurate as possible, since that’s very important to Dr. Rice.
I’ve also been busy assigning illustrations and providing feedback and meeting with other STAs to talk about illustration work flow… So far everyone has been understanding very well and have begun working on their first illustrations, which is very exciting!
I also started doing some sketches for a new Russian illustration.
Scene description: Polina and Oleg are next to the window in one of their rooms. The windowsill is covered with various plants (4-5 plants total). Polina is holding a ruler, as if to measure them, and Oleg is holding a plant guide book (Определитель растений).
I’m just trying to figure out what plants would look nice on the windowsill. I could probably recycle a background from a previous illustration since it’s supposed to take place in one of their rooms.
I also started working on a new self portrait for the STA blog since I got a swanky new hair cut this summer!