Summer Weeks 3-4
I had a shorter week last week (because of the tie-dye event), so I decided to lump these two weeks together into one blog post. I begin working 20 hours this week, so a lot of my work will probably go by faster!
Psy Labs Banner
The main project I am working on is for the new Psy Labs banner. I picked up on where Cristina left off in mid-may, and have started a new design based on what our clients have requested.
Cristina’s last draft before she left looked like this:
Our client really liked the hand-holding with the smart watches and blue color scheme, but requested something closer to this composition:
They also requested I use imagery that represents their lab’s purpose (family, socializing, technology, data).
My first step was to keep this in mind and draft up a mockup with images I thought may fit inside the phones in the image. I used the reference photo and brought in some stock images:
My goal here was to show a variety of different types of families and communication with technology. The client liked the general setup, but felt that only having people in the images may be too congruent with the idea of social media, and not science. They requested we use some images of data or graphs as well – I will wait on receiving actual graphs from the clients, as we do not have any and do not want to inaccurately convey the type of data they work with at the lab.
Additionally, the client requested we:
- Show two hands holding – at least one that has a smart watch on
- Use hands of different sizes
- Use a specific color palette that they listed
Keeping this all in mind, I decided to start a draft of just the hands without any images within the actual phones or smart watches. Once the client is happy with the general composition, we can then focus on the secondary images.
I began by drafting a general idea in illustrator without focusing as much on using the correct colors, just trying to pin down the general feel:
Right after submitting this, I realized I wanted to make the “detail” lines on the shirts smaller to match the detail lines on the fingers. I also needed to implement the colors our client requested, and use some variation in the hand sizes:
After reviewing this, Suloni felt it would be good to have me implement a few more hands to convey perspective (and family!):
In this version, I also used a curve tool on some of the detail lines to make them more organic. After looking at this, Suloni and I decided the middle left hand looked a bit clunky compared to the others. I ended up renovating that one, and adding a few more details:
I ended up completely redoing the bottom of that hand, and adding more details overall (mainly nails). I sent it over to the client, and will update as we get feedback!
My next major project was to create an editable powerpoint for LAITS to use as a brochure for professors’ wardrobe options. I began this in March, and picked it up again recently.
I pulled a collection of fitting images of individuals in business casual, and picked several different powerpoint template themes my supervisors to pick from:
My supervisors ultimately liked the first template the best. The title slide was approved as well, although I was requested to make a version of its background without the blur effect.
I then went on to create a version of the template with 2 models on each slide:
I believe this powerpoint will remain as an editable google slide where the text can be replaced over time. If there are any more changes made to this, I will update later on!
Hand Rigging Project
My final project I am beginning is an animation assignment by Tate. Currently, I am working on creating a hand rig in illustrator that can be used in after effects. I have never created my own hand rig before, so this was a very educational experience!
Here is the rig Tate sent me as a reference:
And here is the rig I am currently working on:
Currently, I’ve mapped out all of the pieces, and am now working on making anchor points for their movement (the circle things.) After that, I can import them into after effects and essentially animate hand however I would like. Tate recommended I try making the hand type, and I am also interested in seeing if I can get the hand to do a bit of a stretch motion. I will have more updates as I continue on this!