Lesson 5: Color Update
As promised, here is an update on the Color Theory KB I made out of my part of Lesson 5.
So, contrary to what I originally believed, my part of this lesson would not be part of a single KB with contributions of various STAs. Rather, there are going to be various final KBs for this lesson, and everything I personally worked on would be its own KB. Fun!
Therefore, once I got the chance (considering I was working on other projects at the time that were time sensitive), I started working on transferring all of the info I collected/wrote and the tutorials I repurposed and designed into a KB post. This process took about two hours to complete including the reformatting of images and text because frankly this tutorial is quite long.
Additionally, in one of our daily meetings, I got really insightful feedback from a fellow STA saying that I should probably change the name of the KB from the original “Moods and Meanings of Color” to something psychology related. So I changed the name to “Color Theory, History, and Psychology.” So I did, but after long consideration and further working on the banner, the official name for the KB just became “Color Theory.”
Finally, I started working on a banner. I skimmed trough many of the other lessons and tutorials we have in our STA database to find inspiration and I was truly mesmerized by the beautiful banner my peer STAs have created throughout the years. The stakes were high. Thereupon, I searched for some inspiration of images related to color, the history of color, color wheels and color schemes. I finally settled on a concept for the banner: the color prism, because not only is this topic directly related to the history of color theory, but it fits the aesthetic and purpose of this tutorial as well. I made a bunch of different drafts for the banner. Some were scrapped because the title was too long, so I changed it. Some were then scrapped to make room for new ideas, like changing the perspective and positioning of the prism to the center. At this point I got a lot of great feedback from Suloni herself, and the “peanut gallery.” which I assume were Valerie and Maddy. All in all, it was all really helpful to finish this task.
This is what the final version of the banner ended up looking like:
Fun fact, when I uploaded the final banner into the KB I had some trouble trying to figure out why it was shifted to the right, but Maddy suggested I ask Abriella, so I did. After I got feedback from her, we were able to figure out the problem was just an easily fixable issue with the Left-center-right align of the image. A few moments later, boom! I published the KB…
At last, here is the link to the KB tutorial: http://sites.la.utexas.edu/kb/2021/04/08/5-color-color-theory/ Feel free to check it out!