TBH: Rusk County Map: Canvasser Interactive
This is a project for which I’m tasked to develop a Canvasser Interactive for a new Texas Beyond History activity called Rusk County Map. The point of this new map-based interactive page is to have a historic black and white map of the Rusk County area upon which are colored/highlighted place names and features (e.g. a river). Those colored/highlighted spaces are meant to be hot/link spots so that, when clicked, a short separate page (housed in …/rusk/images/ folder) would open with a few paragraph description and maybe a few embedded images. Sort of like what the Explore the Sites page on the Cairn Burials special exhibit is doing: http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/cairn/explore.html
My main task here is to program the interactions on the map using Canvasser. This should be a challenging yet interesting project considering I have not worked on Canvasser since I did the basic training for it back in November 2020. But I do have some fellow STA’s to help me out as a support team, so that’s good.
As of right now we are still waiting for the client to send over the assets we’ll need to start, but for now I’ll leave you with some of the questions I have already prepared for them:
- What dimensions will the Canvasser Interactive have?
- w = 956 px
- h = ??? px
- Will I work on the design elements of this project as well or just putting together the Canvasser Interactive?
- Creating buttons/pop-ups?
- Colorizing the map?
- If so, please specify the deliverables.
- Interactive features are required?
- i.e. buttons, toggle elements, click and drag objects, pop-ups, conditional pop-ups, text entry boxes…
- After the user clicks in the hot/link spots, will the descriptive paragraphs/embedded images pop up within the Canvasser Interactive space or on new tabs/windows like on the Cairn Burials ‘Explore the Sites’ example provided?