Last STA post!
It’s been amazing meeting everyone in the STA department, and this job was one of the most enjoyable and relaxing parts of my busy semester!
Thank you to Suloni for being the nicest and sweetest supervisor I could ever ask for; I know many times I had to change my schedule around but you were always very understanding. Thank you also to Tate who was the one who introduced me to the job! I’m super proud of the animations we’ve made for Russian and it was a real pleasure working with you. Your animations are so unique and yes, I’ll gladly go follow your social media haha.
As an animator my favorite part of the job was doing the animations, but I also learned a lot about design as an STA. I finished my job where I started – working on designs for the This is Democracy podcast.
I got the opportunity to make merchandise designs for Dr. Suri. I already planned to come back and visit after my internship ends in the spring, but now I have even more reason since I’ll have a mug waiting for me!
Thank you again to all the other STAs, everyone was super nice and enjoyable to work with. If you all are still here in the spring I’ll see you then!
LAITS Test Animated Logo
Yesterday I worked on creating a test logo for LAITS in After Effects. Part of what I wanted to achieve with this logo was to find a way to create a very hand drawn style without actually drawing everything frame by frame. So the jittery lines here were actually created using various effects and simple expressions in After Effects!
First COLA ID
Today I did my first COLA ID with Suloni’s help! I’d never used PhotoShop before so it was definitely both a learning and cool experience. I know that this ID is not the best … but the original image that we had to work with was very very poor. As Suloni put it, this ID reflects “Sanika’s best handiwork, but not the photographer’s best handiwork.” I actually really liked working with the IDs and I assigned myself a couple more so that’s fun!
Character Animation in After Effects
Over the last few days, I have been exploring character animation in After Effects and have been able to pick up some cool tricks and have found some useful plugins that I hope to explore these more for character animation in After Effects. Below is a few versions of a super simple walk cycle, where I experimented with various effects within the program to add interest/texture.
Last week I finished some animations and started some that Tate ended up finishing:
We have a new 200×200 format for Workday photos which is exciting! Thanks to Suloni making some helpful templates, all the photo IDs were easy to edit, and since they were all studio photos, they didn’t really need editing either!
Finally I’ve just been doing some Cascade help and I will start updating the Cascade documentation in the coming weeks.