Fall STA Roster Poster
Versions 3 + 4, with photos:
Versions 3 + 4, with photos:
I made a little more progress on my CLIO site this week! (Currently on part 2 of the training.) I added a background, some quiz elements, plus a carousel feature-thingy that lets you page through images (not sure if I like the header + bg combo though, so I might play with that some more). Haven’t made a ton of progress on my Canvasser game this week, but the basic elements are there. Next week I’m gonna try to add a table to my site.
Other than CLIO, I had a meeting with Abriella and Sheryl to talk about how we will be training other STAs on the Chat Bot, web support requests, and the COLA Help Guides. We made notes for next week, plus we talked about how to organize all of the relevant information on the KB. Abriella will be working on email templates, and I will working on a updating the style guide for new documentation.
I will also be helping to create captions in the coming weeks for (coincidentally) the same American lit class that I designed course graphics for, which honestly sounds like a nice break from design tasks (which can be mentally draining sometimes).
Even though I’ve been working on writing up the basic training for the third part of CLIO training, I’ve never actually done the first two parts (making my own CLIO site). So this week I’ve been catching up a bit by starting my own module, with my own theme and subject (world geography). It’s still in the early stages but I’m just working on adding content and using CSS to modify the visuals of the site as per the instructions. I also created some buttons that I want to incorporate in my site somehow.
The Canvasser tutorial is published and basically done, the main thing that’s holding it up is the the fact that we’re not entirely sure how to embed Canvassers in CLIO. It was also a short week for me, so I didn’t make a ton of progress on this, but hopefully next week can figure this out!
The Canvasser tutorial is really close to being finished! Suloni suggested it become part of the CLIO training, so I’ve been adjusting some of the instructions to reflect that. How it would work is people will make their own CLIO site around a theme of their choice (part 1 and 2 of the training), then in part 3 they will make an educational Canvasser game that fits with the theme they chose. The game will get embedded in their course, and anybody who is a student of the course will be able to play it.
The tutorial isn’t *officially* done yet because I’m still looking into how to properly embed an interactive in a CLIO site, but here is the page if anyone wants to check it out:
Last week I mostly finished replacing the videos for Vlabs, except for some MP4 files that wouldn’t play in Safari. Still not entirely sure why the videos weren’t playing when they had previously worked in Safari, but early this week Ruben helped me figure out a work-around by reuploading many of the broken MP4s to Grav, which worked! Turned out to be slightly more convoluted process than I was anticipating, but they main thing is that all videos are updated and playing correctly in different browsers.
The other main project I’ve been working on is the new Canvasser tutorial for the Knowledge Base. Abriella made this nice banner for the top of the page, and I’m just working on fleshing out, adding screenshots, and improving the the content of the training. I’m trying to break down the steps so they’re easy to follow and not over-complicated, but still make it a comprehensive introduction to Canvasser for people who’ve never used it before. It’s definitely going to be a longer and more involved basic training, so I’m thinking it will be really helpful to get feedback on it as people start attempting it for the first time.
I’m also including multiple Vlabs and TBH interactives at the top of the page to hopefully give people a sense of what a finished interactive can look like in terms of aesthetics and functionality. Here’s what the post is looking like so far:
This week I’ve been continuing to work on vlabs–I’ve finished a couple more interactives, plus I’ve been working with Ruben to make sure all the videos are able to be uploaded and saved to the site. We’ve had couple issues with this though. There were some videos that were giving me an error message because they were too large to upload, but Ruben has resolved this issue, so I’ll be able to finish adding those remaining videos by the end of my shift today.
The other major issue has been getting the videos, which are webm files, to play in Safari. Safari doesn’t seem to be able to play webm files, only mp4 files. Ruben added code to the page to add a second video source, that way if the video is uploaded as both an mp4 and a webm file, the browser will play the one that works. After he did this I kept have trouble adding the videos, and initially we thought this was because of some of the file names are incorrect/mismatched, but now it seems like the mp4 files themselves may be broken and need to be reuploaded. (This is an ongoing issue that we’re still looking into)
Other than Vlabs I’ve been giving feedback on image tracing (or live tracing) basic trainings and helping to troubleshoot some Photoshop/Illustrator problems. Haven’t had much of a chance to work on the KB because Vlabs has taken priority, but I’m hoping to make some more progress on the Canvasser tutorial soon
That’s basically it for this week. Not a lot I can show visually since it’s all Vlabs, but here’s a blurry screenshot of a video that I updated: