This was the first batch of photo id’s that I processed for the COLA Database. Aidan gave me a tutorial on some adjustments and cropping, and I’m waiting to hear feedback on whether I need to edit more or if I can push these images to live.
I also updated the Department of American Studies’s banner a few times using our content management system Cascade too!
In the past couple of weeks, I worked on two more animations for Texas Beyond History Kids. One of these was an animation called ‘kids-sandals’ where I had to recreate an animation of the main character–Dr. Dirt–walking across the screen using still images. He would periodically shout certain phrases with various images attached, so I grouped these images together to make it easier to work with in our tool Canvasser. Other than the long animation, ‘kids-sandals’ was a lot of work but didn’t need much creative thinking.
The other animation I worked on was called ‘detectives into the past’, and I worked on this with two other STAS–Nick Lavigne and Rodrigo Villareal. The entire animation was 30 frames long, so we divided the work amongst us. In the end, I did frames 10-21 over the course of two weeks. This animation required me to use a feature of Canvasser I wasn’t familiar with before called ‘Var’. The Var feature of Canvasser was the first time I had to use conditionals within the program.
For the past couple of weeks, I’ve finished two more additional animations for Texas Beyond History. One–Hueco Kids Discover–was started by another STA. During recreation, I found that some backgrounds and images were either not available or needed editing. Because Suloni walked me through the basics of Photoshop a couple of weeks before, I was able to recreate these missing elements myself.
The other animation I finished was Cabeza Lost. At this point, I have become comfortable with combining Photoshop and Canvasser to create these animations.
An unexpected obstacle came up when Canvasser and our folder permissions were changed while I was in the process of recreation. Because the structure of how Canvasser functioned changed, I had to look at the JSON code to see where the problem was. What I had trouble with was with the new ‘Import Images’ function of Canvasser, and when I looked in the JSON code, I found that the paths for these newly created images were not lining up with the paths of the old images.
In the end, I was able to work with Nick and Reuben to figure out the new system and finish the animation!
Since starting work on Texas Beyond History in Canvasser, I have learned more efficient ways of animating that let me better complete TBH Hueco Discover after finishing the “Where” page. Below are pictures of some of the final frames for both projects. For Discover, I had to learn and use Photoshop to recreate background images and flashing animations too.
I started on rebuilding the Texas Beyond History site using Canvasser. This tool enables the website to not use flash and thus operate on newer devices and tablets. So far I have completed the zooming in on Huecos from the pictures. Canvasser isn’t giving me any problems so far, but getting access to where the images are stored is a problem. My information hasn’t been added to the server yet so I’m relying on someone to get access for me.