Included in this post is the 1st draft of the 1st cartoon for the RUS412K online course! The animation description that I was provided was: a person at home cooking dinner sees they don’t have an item they need, they run to the store and come back. I also used this cartoon to create around 9 tutorial videos to bring more STAs into the animation workflow for this project. I picked this animation because of its level of complexity; it required a lot of skills necessary for general proficiency in the program in regards to what’s needed for this project specifically. I have already received some notes from Dr. Rice to make the space more believable as a Russian apt, which I am working to incorporate. Very excited to see how this project turns out!
There have been a number of hiccups in the completion of the Chinese language instructional videos I have been working on the last few months. Unfortunately, for around 29 videos, the necessary Chinese character font was not loaded properly into the computer and the videos must be re-recorded. Through a slew of events, I was able to find the font that was needed for the project and load the correct fonts onto the computers that need them. I have also taken multiple measures on my end to prevent a mistake of this magnitude from happening again. I have pushed 4 video STAs quickly through the workflow training to join the 3 Design STAs trained in the process so hopefully we can finish this project quickly and strongly!
CHINESE 507 Online Course
An older Chinese online language course has been revived for completion recently and I’ve been tasked as the guy to sync it up! It follows a similar workflow as the Russian online course I’ve been working on. In fact, it’s responsible for establishing some of the norms for making these types of videos at LAITS, which continued on to the Russian online course. Some of the processes are a little dated but I’ve gotten into the swing of things and have already knocked out about about 10 videos since being assigned it a little over a week ago.
Personal STA Presentations Progress
I have made much progress on my own STA presentations as well. I have been assigned two presentations, one for an animated Austin Skyline I made for a live broadcast online AET class, and one for the Russian Online course I have devoted so much of my time to since beginning this job. The Russian online course presentation has taken some time to develop, it has already gone under two major structural changes and about 3 or 4 drafts, but I believe it’s near its completion! The AET presentation was a little simpler for me to break down, especially since there was much less to talk about, it’s first draft is complete and will probably only need a few minor adjustments.
STA Presentation Progress
I’ve mainly been working on preparing for the STA presentation set for April 20th since last posting on the blog. I was first tasked with establishing the Keynote template that every STA will use for their presentation. I started by placing the LAITS presentation background that was provided to me onto the background of the “Master Slides” for the Presentation template. I then established a color scheme based of the LAITS color block in the bottom left of the slide and created a number of line, shape and table styles that reflected this color scheme. I even made a tutorial for using Keynote if there were any STAs unfamiliar with the program.
Some Updates from my Weekend.
This weekend I worked with director Jared Marxuach, an audio STA at LAITS, on his thesis RTF narrative film project, “Gregory”, serving as the production designer. This wasn’t a LAITS related shoot, but it was a super fun set, where I was given a lot of creative freedom and got to work with some great people, so I’m sharing some stills of some of my set design set ups from the shoot!