During the later part of your STA Orientation Tuesday, January 21st,
you’ll design and upload your STA Blog banner to the STA blog.
Upload a Blog Banner
Design and Make Your Banner in Photoshop
- Use the Photoshop specs for your blog banner that I placed in your STA volume folder
- Left-click on the home screen,
- the press command + k to connect to server
- smb://file.laits.utexas.edu/sta/Ishan Kamat/Orientation
- Save your unmerged files back to your STA volume folder
Log-in to the STA word press blog:
Uploading media and banners in WP
- Read these links before you upload your banner.
- They will walk you through how to upload media to your blog.
Make Your First Blog post
- Reflect on the day. You blog posts will be a documented experience of your time as an STA with LAITS. Include links, images, gifs–anything you want to share about the projects you’re working on.
- For today, write a bit about about yourself and what you did during orientation.
- If you haven’t already, upload your banner.
Things to Remember
- You should never copy and paste images to your blog. Always upload images into the “Media” section of blog first, and then insert the image from the media folder to display on your blog.
- Don’t use the thumbnail version of your images.
- Use images that are 72 dpi
- Screen shots are fine
- Images that are 780 pix wide format nicely above or below text blocks
Always Categorize Your Posts
- Always check the category “2019 Fall-Winter | Spring-Summer 2020” for all the blog posts you make this semester and next semester so that all of your work is documented in the correct semesters.
Commenting on Basecamp
Notification comments: etiquette, files, questions, feedback
Let us know when you’ve completed this task by adding a link to your blog to a comment in Basecamp.
Notes for all comments in Basecamp:
- *Always address the person(s) you are writing to by their names.
- *Always use complete sentences.
- *Always add links or paths to your design file residing in your STA folder
- *make things easier for your collaborators and mentors by adding a screenshots of the file you are asking for feedback on to your comment
Notify people in Basecamp by adding “@” before their names (no spaces), otherwise they may not see your comment.
“@” your STA mentor and Suloni in your comments when you want to:
- ask us questions you may have about the mechanics of using the STA blog,
- about the mechanics of photoshop,
- to let us know that you have completed this task,
- or that you would like a little feedback on on your banner design 🙂
Thank you & have fun!