Animation Project – Script
On Tuesday the Animation Project team, myself included, had a meeting to discuss our ideas of what the animation could be. But first, let me tell you what this project is about. The animation project is one proposed by Suloni, where she prompted us to develop an animation that could potentially be submitted to a SXSW film/animation presentation. So, based on that, we have to take inventory of what each person brings to the group and assign roles based on that, as well as come up with a theme and style that works for everybody’s skill level and desired outcomes.
The Parameters of the Project are as follows:
1. Must be an Animation
2. No longer than 10 mins no shorter than 5 mins
3. Needs to contain a plot, at least one character, one object, and one environment
4. Needs to contain sound at least once
5. Timeline: TBD
And the following were the roles available:
1. Animation Director or Creative Director (Abriella’s Role)
2. Script Writer
3. Storyboard Artist
4. Character / Landscape Designer
5. The Animator and Inbetweener
6. Sound Designer / Voice Actor
Now that you have some more context, let me tell you how Tuesday’s meeting went. First things first, before the meeting, we were tasked to research an animation style we want to try out, come up with a theme for our animation to develop a story out of, and write down a list of skills you have that might relate to the positions listed. The following were my proposals:
Animation Style: something watercolor or pencil art, 8 bit-like, or stop motion
Theme: dreams, memories, going to your happy place (the three of which were the same as some previously suggested), reunions, wonder/imagination
Things I could contribute to:
– Character/Landscape Design
Based on that, the following became our official plan:
- Scriptwriter: Cristina and Ingrid will write together on the same document. The rest of us will offer specific dream imagery, symbolism, and ideas. All of our ideas combined will become the animation.
- Move on to storyboarding after script: De’sha and Angie will create rough sketches collaboratively. Cristina will develop the background of the storyboard with them, and Ingrid will make sure the storyboard matches up with the storyline.
- Character design: Angie and De’sha will character design together (turn arounds).
- Landscape design: Cristina and Ingrid at the same time character designs are happening, will work on creating a landscape.
- Animator: De’sha will animate and Aangie will help with exporting and helping.
- Sound: While the animation is happening Cristina and Ingrid will work together to create custom sounds — no copyrighted music whilst checking-in to see how long certain parts of a scene or sound are happening with De’sha to make appropriate audio.
- Abriella will be taking notes of all the steps needed to make this animation happen, check-in at every step for feedback and suggestions, keep everything organized.